Leshan is a city south of Chengdu in Sichuan Province. Sitting on the confluence of the Dadu, Min and Qingyi rivers, it is most famous for its huge riverside cliff-carving of Buddha and nearby Mount Emei; which together are...
Chinese Name: 乐山
Chinese Pinyin: Lèshān
Location: Southwest Sichuan
Population: 3.5184 million
Language: Mandarin, Szechwan dialect
Zip code: 614000
Tel code: +86 (0833)
Time zone: (UTC+8)
Leshan is a city south of Chengdu in Sichuan Province. Sitting on the confluence of the Dadu, Min and Qingyi rivers, it is most famous for its huge riverside cliff-carving of Buddha and nearby Mount Emei; which together are a World Heritage Site. With a history of over 3000 years, it was called Jiazhou in ancient time and is a historical and cultural city in China. Leshan tourism will focus on four aspects, namely, international tourism destination, China’s international Buddhist cultural tourism destination, national tourism resort and provincial tourism commodity distribution center. Leshan will strive to improve the service quality and expand the bearing capacity, and create a new chapter in the development of Leshan tourism.
- World Heritage Sites: Leshan city has three world heritage sites: Leshan Giant Buddha, Mount Emei and Dongfengyan. Leshan Giant Buddha is the biggest carved stone Buddha in the world and Mount Emei is one of the Four Great Buddhist Mountains in China. Dongfengyan, an irrigation system, plays an important role in supporting local life.
- Buddhist Culture: Leshan, a famous Buddhist Capital, is perhaps best known for its ubiquitous Buddhist culture which has a history of more than 2000 years. Buddhism was introduced into Leshan as early as the eastern Han dynasty and there are lots of Buddhist Temples such as Wannian Temple, Fuhu Temple, Huazang Temple, etc.
- Leshan Food: Leshan is an ancient Sichuanese city and has a largely ‘pre-chili pepper’ cuisine. Leshan is noted for its food culture in that it has all the street food from its surrounding areas, which has made it the one-stop street food city. The famous Leshan food are Boboji, QiaoJiao Beef, Sweet-Skinned Duck, etc.
Hot Destinations in Leshan
Other Destinations in Leshan
- Mount Emei
- Mabian County
- Wutongqiao District
- Jinkouhe District
- Emeishan City
- Qianwei County
- Shizhong District
- Muchuan County
- Ebian County
- Jiajiang County
- Jingyan County
- Shawan District
Leshan Giant Buddha is the must-see highlight of Leshan City. For centuries, it have been revered with Mount Emei by visitors from near and far for their intrinsic value as Buddist heritage sites. Notable scenic resorts in the surrounding area are: Wutongqiao (nicknamed 'Small West Lake') which is an ancient waterside town; Lingyun Temple Museum located on Linyun Mountain, Luocheng Ancient Town which is well-known for its ship like appearance. Moreover, the city is the hometown of Guo Moruo (1892-1978) who a famous Chinese literary figure and you [...]
Normally, it will take 2-3 days to finish the Leshan Tour. You can take half day to visit the Leshan Giant Buddha, then spend another two days to finish the tour of Mount Emei. Leshan is noted for its food culture and you can taste the famous Leshan food after you tour. If your time is limited, you can also choose to visit the part you prefer. Leshan tour is always connected with Chengdu and you can choose [...]
- More City Tours Including Leshan >>
- More China Provinces Tours Including Leshan >>
- More Multi-City Tours Including Leshan >>
- All Tours Including Leshan >>
Climate & When to Go
Leshan has a monsoon-influenced humid subtropical climate and is largely mild and humid. Winter is short, mild and dry, with a January average of 7.2 °C (45.0 °F), and while frost may occur, snow is rare. Summers are long, hot and humid, with highs often exceeding 30 °C (86 °F), yet extended heat waves are rare. The daily average in July and August is around 26 °C (79 °F). Rainfall is light in winter and can be heavy in summer, and more than 70% of the annual total occurs [...]